Charcuterie, noun, pronounced “shahr-koo-tuh-ree”. Definition: Lunchable for grownups. 🧀 Charcuterie is one of my favorite meals because I instantly feel like I’m eating party food. Every good party needs charcuterie and don’t we all need more merriment in our daily lives? I think this is why Lunchables were so popular in the 90s (and honestly, don’t we all wish we could justify eating them still?). Well portioned food collected onto a plate satisfies the eye as well as the stomach. It’s hard to worry about chores, pandemics, or bills when you have to focus entirely on the food set before you.
I follow a few rules when prepping my charcuterie. A sucessful charcuterie board requires only a few simple elements:
- Variety of colors – make it look appealing!
- A balance of savory, sweet, and neutral flavors
- Several possible pairings between foods – does each element go with at least two other foods?
- Bite sized portions – keep it easy finger foods!
- Nutritional value – how can you pack in foods that will support your body’s needs?
- No food waste- what is sitting in your fridge that needs to be eaten?
Optional: someone to share your charcuterie with! Enjoy.